You have a choice of three research questions for this assignment:
(1) How much does students' having a growth mindset affect how well they will learn?
- If you choose this question, you will write an "argument" paper.
- After you have done some more reading, choose ONE of these statements to defend:
- Students' having a growth mindset makes an important difference in how well they will learn.
- Students' having a growth mindset does not make an important difference in how well they will learn.
- In your paper, you will need to support your argument with information from what you read.
OR (2) What are the differences in behaviors and habits of students with a fixed mindset and students with a growth mindset?
- If you choose this question, you will write a "comparison" paper.
- Find out what researchers and teachers have said and write a paper that compares and contrasts students with different mindsets.
- Comparing how students would approach the same kind of challenge would be more interesting than just having separate lists of behaviors and habits.
- Your paper should incorporate ideas and examples from what you read.
OR (3) What can teachers do to help students develop a growth mindset?
- If you choose this question you will write a "problem-solution" paper (the problem being that not enough students have a growth mindset).
- You should be specific, and include ideas and examples from what you read
- You should explain how and why the things that teachers do help to develop a growth mindset